Do You Have an Employee Turning Sixty-five? 

By Randall Orser | Payroll

As more and more people are not retiring early like they used to, you, as an employer, need to think about those employees that are currently turning 65. If the employee is going to continue to work for you then there are a couple of things you and they need to discuss. The first is Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and the other is their taxes.

Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

You must also deduct CPP contributions for all employees who are 65 to 70 years of age, unless they choose not to contribute to the CPP by giving you a signed and completed copy of Form CPT30, Election to Stop Contributing to the Canada Pension Plan, or Revocation of a Prior Election. They also have to send the original Form CPT30 to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Workers who were at least 65 years of age, receiving a CPP or QPP retirement pension, and who had chosen to stop contributing to the CPP can start contributing again if they want to, but they have to wait until the next calendar year. They will be able to do so by giving their employer another signed CPT30 and sending the original to the CRA.

Continue to deduct CPP from the employee until you get confirmation that the CPT-30 was received and processed. CRA has a tendency to lose these forms, so follow up with them after about four weeks.

If you, as the employer, do not deduct or remit CPP contributions to the CRA, you may have to pay your employee’s share and your share of the CPP contributions. If you do not remit the contributions to the CRA by the due date, you may also be charged penalties and interest.

After the month in which they turn 70 years of age, employees can no longer contribute to the CPP.


You should talk to your employee about having more tax taken off his employment income to cover the additional taxes he may incur due to his pension and employment income. Have the employee look at the sources of their income, and the total income they’ll receive for the tax year. The employee can also get the other sources to take off more income tax, so as to alleviate a large tax bill at tax time.

Is the employee taking their Old Age Pension (OAS)? Do they have another pension their withdrawing? Maybe RRSPs? These can all add up to a good sum. If the employee is 65, perhaps taking their OAS is not such a good thing depending on their employment and other income. Currently (2017), the claw back starts at $74,788 and ends at $121,279. If they find their income in this range before the OAS, then it may be wise not to take the OAS until they actually retire.

If the employee is under 70, then they may consider doing RRSPs, or upping their contributions, as this will reduce their taxable income, and give them some retirement funds when they do retire. They should ensure what their contribution limit is before putting any monies into RRSPs.

The employee may want to fill out a new TD1Personal Tax Credits Return plus the Provincial counterpart. As the employee is now 65, they are entitled to some additional credits, such as the Age Amount.

When an employee turns 65, there are a few things that the employee and the employer need to consider. Talk to your employee or have them talk to your human resources, and see what changes are happening.


About the Author

President/CEO Number Crunchers® Accounting Inc. Learn how to just say stuff it to this bookkeeping thing with our 'Just Say: "Stuff It" To Bookkeeping program.