Promotion is such a crucial part of your business that even though it might not be your favourite activity you should spend at least an hour a day either promoting or planning how to promote your business. Getting the word out is so important that however you do it, it must be done continuously. Business promotion should be part of your business budget, but it doesn’t have to be expensive. Here are some inexpensive ways to promote your business that mostly cost only your time.
- Business Communications – You have business cards, but you also send out a lot of other documents. You need to make sure that your business name, logo, contact information, social media links and web address are on all documents that you send out either printed or electronic. It is easy to update electronic documents such as email with promotions, special prices, or company news. It then becomes not just an email but a business promotion tool.
- Turn your Vehicle into a Mobile Billboard – Use vehicle wrap to advertise your business. Hundreds if not thousands of people see your vehicle every day which makes this a very inexpensive way to promote your business.
- Use Social Media – Social media platforms are a great way to promote your business. To get started, create a social media plan. It is important to post regularly, include videos of your products which can also be posted on YouTube.
- Blogging and Writing Articles – Write blogs and articles specific to your business which will be valuable information for the reader. Include a short biographical note about you and your business to make it more personal. Although you will mostly post these blogs to your own website think about placing your blog on another website related to your business as a guest blog, but make sure that it is a professional looking site that gets lots of traffic otherwise it will not help and could in fact hurt your business.
- Use Buddy Marketing – This involves joining up with another business that compliments your own. Pooling your resources to create a marketing program can extend your reach and bring you into contact with a new pool of potential customers.
- Give out Freebies - People love to get freebies, you can give out items such as pens, hats etc. to promote your business and also use them as customer “rewards”.
- Promote your Business by Giving a Seminar or Presentation – You have expertise that other people want so why not share it and promote your business at the same time? Many Government sponsored organizations such as Business Service Centres, Economic Development Centres and non-profit programs are always looking for experienced business people to give presentations.
- Promote Your Business Through your Leisure Activities – Promote your business by wearing a T. Shirt that displays the name of your company. If your kids play on a sports team, consider becoming a sponsor and get your name on the team uniforms. Get in the habit of promoting your business wherever you go to build word-of-mouth. If you are involved in a group activity try and include your business information on their newsletters so that you are letting people know what you do and how it could benefit them.
- Promote your Business on a Talk Show – your local radio station or tv station may have programs where you can appear as a guest expert.
These are just a few of the ways that you can promote your business without spending huge amounts of money although spending more can pay off as well and don’t forget that promotion expenses are tax-deductible.
From an article by Susan Ward