Are you thinking about starting your own business next year? Here are some of the best small business ideas for 2019, many of which can be operated as a home-based business.
All these opportunities
- Have the potential to be profitable now and in the future
- Will do well even when the economy is uncertain
- Do not require a high level of education or years of experience. Some need trade school training, a university degree or a prior apprenticeship, others only need experience and a passion for the industry
- Do not require a lot of start-up capital but do need lots of dedication, hard work, perseverance and a desire to succeed!
- Fulfillment by Amazon – this program allows you to market your products through Amazon and takes the headaches out of running an online retail business. In exchange for fulfillment and monthly storage fees Amazing handles storage, packing, shipping, returns, customer service enquiries as well as listing your product on their website. Once your listing is live and sales begin you receive your portion of the proceeds on a weekly basis.
- Skilled Trades – Nowadays being in the trades can be a very well paid and rewarding career choice. As trades people are retiring there is a huge demand for talented workers and the nature of skilled trades make them ideally suited for self-employment. Many can be operated as home-based businesses as the work is actually done at the customer’s job site. Start-up costs are relatively low, and most trades cannot be automated to any degree ensuring future job security. There is also the opportunity to travel to other locations to receive higher compensation.
- Software Engineering and Development – The demand for software engineers and developers is expected to increase by 17% by 2023 and the median pay in 2017 was over $100,000 making it a great business opportunity for those who have these skills. Many people start off as employees and then become self-employed contractors. Using Cloud Computing and remote access it is easy to make this a home-based business.
- Meal Kit Sales and Delivery – Meal kits have become very popular with busy people and the industry is expected to reach $10 billion in sales in the US by 2020. Meal kit suppliers usually source ingredients from local farms which also creates business for small growers and delivery providers to pick up and deliver to customers.
- Bike Sales, Service and Rentals – Bicycling is the second most popular outdoor activity by frequency of participation in the US. This has resulted in $81billion being spent annually on biking. This is a great opportunity for the entrepreneur who loves cycling.
- Senior Care Services – Senior care ranks as one of the best business opportunities as people are living longer. Many of these people create a wealthy demographic that can afford to pay for services to help them to maintain their lifestyle including driving, household chores, property maintenance, landscaping and caring for pets. There are many opportunities for those who are interested in starting their own business or being part of a franchise.
- Gourmet Coffee – If you think that you could not compete with Starbucks you it might be easier than you think. You need to open your coffee house in a convenient location for foot, cycle and vehicle traffic with lots of parking. You must offer a pleasant atmosphere including an outdoor patio. Serve a high-quality beverage made from small-batch specialty coffees that are served by trained baristas so that the product is always consistent and just sell brewed coffee and pastries do not try to compete with fast food outlets.
- Facilities Support Services – Providing a full range of services for businesses including cleaning, security, building maintenance, painting, and moving is an industry expected to grow by 30% by 2026. All you need is a background in maintenance and good organizational skills.
- Food Trucks – Food trucks are no longer just hot dog stands they now provide healthy nutritious food, and many have their own specialties such as vegetarian or ethnic. Ingredients are usually locally sourced and often have a seasonally changing menu. If you are able to create great food this could be a good business opportunity for you.
So what are you waiting for? Start writing that business plan for 2019!
From an article by Susan Ward